Detroit the new Africa?


Remember when Africa was the place to "adopt" from and hold free concerts for? Now, at risk of sounding politically incorrect, we need look no further than our own city.

Over the past couple weeks two popular talk show hosts have tried to rescue Detroit. One is the Tonight Show's Jay Leno, who held free concert for Detroit (although it took place in Auburn Hills, a well-to-do suburb about 40 minutes away from Detroit).

The other is Joe Scarborough, host of MSNBC's "Morning Joe". Scarborough says he wants to air Morning Joe from Detroit "all the time" and adopt the city. "I want to adopt the City of Detroit." He told Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm.

"I'm glad you haven't forgot about adopting us," Granhold said.

As a Detroiter I'm not sure if I should be happy to have a famous talk show host for a Dad or mad at Jennifer Granholm for shuffling me off so fast.

Either way, I have this weird feeling that the city of Detroit is thought of as this helpless orphan. What's Next is U2 gonna come and do a concert for hunger?

Is the UN gonna send helicopters full of rice sacks and drop it over the neighborhoods?

Are national Geographic photographers gonna come in and take photos of babies in poverty?

Ok I'm half kidding. But seriously, Detroit, we need to take care of our shit before Elton John and Michael Jackson sing a charity duet for the kids. (Juust kidding!)


OK I'll stop. But am i the only one who feels kinda like they're living in a third world situation?

Here's the clip:

0 comments: